<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 28, 2006

New Banner


Getting ready for the transition to ScienceBlogs, I've gone ahead an designed a new banner.  (I had help with the techincal aspects, but the design was my idea.)  I'm a little worried that they are redesigning the layout, so it is possible that the size will be wrong or the colors won't match, but I decided to do it anyway.  It should be simple enough to change, if that turns out to be necessary.

The image on the left is a macro photo of an Intel 486-DX2 processor; the image on the right is an illustration from the 1918 edition of Gray's Anatomy.  Both are in the public domain.  I found the images on Wikipedia.  The text is in a font known as Ringbearer, which I downloaded from a free font site.  I suppose I should mention the site, but I can't recall the name of the site.  If you search for "Ringbearer font" you will find several sites that have it.

The banner was made using GIMP, the Gnu Image Processor, which is an open-source program.  Although it started as a Linux program, there are version for Mac and Windows.

gimp_macosx_screenshot1
Using GIMP on a Mac, image from the GIMP.org site.